Haymarket Center
Data Security Incident

Ask Haymarket

My Boyfriend has a Drug Problem

I just found out that my boyfriend has a drug problem. He has been using since he was 15 and is now middle age. He has been clean for 2 weeks. What do I do next?


It is always difficult to learn of a loved one’s addiction, but it sounds as though you are willing to support your boyfriend’s recovery and that is admirable. Haymarket’s FAQs about treatment may be educational and helpful to you. You can get support by attending Nar-Anon, which provides group support to relatives and friends who are concerned about the addiction or drug problem of another. Al-Anon specifically provides support surrounding alcohol addiction. Use Nar-Anon’s convenient 'Find a meeting by location' tool. Members meet and share their experiences weekly and there is no fee or charge for attendance.

You should know that it is not unusual for someone who is in recovery to relapse, just as for any other chronic disease, and that would not indicate a failure but a need for renewed treatment. His best chance for successful long term recovery is to join a program that supports his continued abstinence. Many programs include family members in the patient’s recovery & therapy, including Haymarket outpatient programs, and he can find all programs in his area by using a tool on the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website.

See more questions

Call our help line

(312) CAN - HELP

(312) 226 - 4357

* Required

CARF Accreditation | Mental Health First Aid Certified | HIPAA Privacy Statement | IL, SUPR, National Outcome Measures

| Priority Admission Statement | Locations

Complete a Stakeholders Survey